Professor Darrell Rowbotoom gave us a fascinating talk on March, 31th, 2017, at the Big Lecture Hall in School of Philosophy. He is Head of the Department (& Professor) of Philosophy at Lingnan University in Hong Kong. The title of the talk was “Scientific Progress and The Value of Science”. Professor Bradly Monton was the commentator. Scientific realism, roughly speaking, is the view that...
- Bradly Monton's Talk on Atheism and Thermodynamics
- Progress of Chinese Philosophy through Comparison： The 2nd Annual Comparative Philosophy Conference was held at the School of Philosophy at Wuhan University
- The 10th National Conference on Analytic Philosophy
- Bryan W. Van Norden’s Visit to School of Philosophy
- Tim Connolly’s Visit
- The Third Annual Conference on the Analytical Approach to Ethics
- David Schmidtz’s Visit
- Team Work： The Philosophic Perspective on Chinese Culture
26APRMay 3 James Dominic Rooney Talk: "Zhu Xi 朱熹Can Explain the Composition of Ordinary Material Objects (Yet Wang Fuzhi 王夫之 and Friends Cannot)" “Zhu Xi 朱熹Can Explain the Composition of Ordinary Material Objects (Yet Wang Fuzhi 王夫之 and Friends Cannot)”Fr. James Dominic Rooney, OPWHU Philosophy Spring Seminar SeriesThursday 3 May 2018 AbstractIn contemporary metaphysics, there is a prominent view known as ‘hylomorphism.' Zhu Xi’s (朱熹) account of li-qi (理-气) composition is, I propose, a close theoretical cousin to hylomorphi...
17APRApril 23 Samuel Kahn Talk: "Positive Duties, Maxim Realism and the Deliberative Field" “Positve Duties, Maxim Realism and the Deliberative Field"Professor Samuel Kahn Indiana University-Purdue University, IndianapolisWHU PHILOSOPHY SEMINAR SERIESWednesday April 23 Abstract My goal in this paper is to show that it is not the case that positive duties can be derived from Kant’s so-called universalizability tests. I begin by explaining in detail what I mean by this and distinguish...
17APRApril 25 Mark Kelly Talk: "Foucault's Lesson: Power-Knowledge and Socialist Strategy" “Foucault's Lesson: Power-Knowledge and Socialist Strategy”Professor Mark KellyWestern Sydney UniversityWHU PHILOSOPHY SEMINAR SERIESWednesday April 25 Abstract In this paper, I argue that the chief lesson of Michel Foucault's thought for left-wing political praxis has been missed or ignored. It is, namely, what he calls the 'tactical polyvalence' of discourses, that is, the feature of langua...
12APRApril 18 Hagop Sarkissian Talk: “Morality and Manipulation” “Morality and Manipulation”Professor Hagop SarkissianCity University of New York, Baruch CollegeWHU Philosophy Spring Seminar SeriesWednesday 18 April 2018 Abstract Suppose I have learned how to make reliable, probabilistic predictions about the effects of my own behavior on you. For example, I am able to predict how my tone of voice, or my choice of music or dress, or my use of a certain an...
9APRPhilosophical Methodology – Analysis and Explication Philosophical Methodology – Analysis and Explication 哲学方法论——短期课程 Time/时间：2：05-4:30pm 周一和周三（Mondays and Wednesdays）(April 9, 11, 16,18, 23,25) Location/地点：B303 Dr. Raphael van Riel，德国杜伊斯堡大学哲学副教授，主要研究科学哲学、认识论、心灵哲学、语言哲学等。在Philosophy of Science, The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, Synthese 等国际著名期刊上发表多篇论...
9APRApril 11 Robbie Arrell Talk:"Associative Political Obligations: Is Political Menmbership Intrinsically Valuable and Dose It Matter?" “ASSOCIATIVE POLITICAL OBLIGATIONS: IS POLITICAL MEMBERSHIP INTRINSICALLY VALUABLE AND DOES IT MATTER?”Dr Robbie ArrellWuhan UniversityWHU Philosophy Spring Seminar SeriesWednesday 11 April 2018 Abstract Some argue that certain of the duties one has towards one’s political society and/or co-members are relevantly similar to the duties one has towards one’s parents, children, friends, lover(...
- 01 Pluralism Philosophy Seminar Series 2018 Spring Semester
- 02 2018 Spring English Taught Course Schedule
- 03 2018 Wuhan University International MA Program in Philosophy
- 04 2017-2018 Teaching Calendar
- 05 2017 Fall English Taught Course Schedule
- 06 Schedule -- 2017 Arizona-Wuhan Contemporary Political Philosophy Summer School
- 07 Contemporary Issues in Political Philosophy Summer School (2017)
- 08 Wuhan University International MA Program in Philosophy